So, I don’t know if I’ve said this, but I fucking love music. Honestly anything from classic rock to pop, you bet I’ll be listening.
I made a Spotify playlist so you can hear with I’ve been jamming out too all year with my absolute favorites that have been released along with old songs that need to honestly make a come back. I’ve also made a few monthly playlists as well, so you should follow me on Spotify to see what I’m ever listening to!
So, there was a TON of music that was released over the course of 2015. So I’m just going to dive into some of my favorites (you can see some themes occurring if you don’t know my favorites at the moment lol)
Top 3 Albums
- Made in the AM – One Direction: Honestly, if you haven’t listened to this album yet please stop reading now and go over to Spotify and please educate yourself on the masterpiece that is this album. Though I am a huge 1D Fan (I’m not even sorry about this), this album is so musically well done. MITAM (for short) has a familiar feel to a lot of classic bands that have come and gone (or possibly just rocking till they die *cough* the Rolling Stones). You can definitively hear Niall Horan, Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, and Liam Payne’s top music influences come into this album. Though they lost Zayn Malik in late March, this album still went straight to the top upon being released. This album was rivaling Bieber’s Purpose, released the same day. Comparing MITAM to Purpose, MITAM is easy to listen to and digest because it’s vibes are so familiar sounding.
- Sounds Good Feels Good – 5 Seconds of Summer: I’m honestly so proud off these four boys from Sydney. As compared to their first album, Luke, Calum, Ashton, and Michael put their all into this album. The entire album tells a story; it’s personal, it’s about real world problems, it’s about things they themselves have gone through. This is what makes the album so great- there got to be a song that you can relate to or makes you feel in some sort of way. E ought about lyrics, the over all sound of this album is far more punk (or whatever you want to call it) than their self-titled album. You can hear the Good Charlotte and All Time Low influences as they worked with both while writing.
- Get Weird – Little Mix: I just want to give a round of applause to these girls. Though many people fail to bat and eye at them, they kicked this album out of the park. The raw talent these four girls have honestly continues to astound me- and they’re just as good live. I really hope they tour this album in the US because I would go to any show close to me. Also, it’s not to be forgotten that member Perrie Edwards was engaged to former 1D member Zayn Malik but he broke off their engagement and she is literally showing him what he is missing. If you’re looking for great girl group to replace the whole in your heart from the Spice Girls, Little Mix are your girls.
Top 5 Songs (All are in the Spotify playlist)
- Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson (ft. Bruno Mars): This quite easily was my song for a good six months (I’m not exaggerating). It make me really happy that this song was so popular for so many weeks in so many areas as it’s not the stereotypical pop song. Uptown Funk is literally funk (if you don’t know funk it’s an off shoot of jazz just Google it to learn more) which surprised me. With the way 99.9999% of chart topping songs are today, this song was set up for failure but for some reason EVERYONE loved it, me included.
- Shut Up and Dance – Walk The Moon: This song was my summer go to, another odd chart topping so for how guitar driven (and not 5SOS) it was. Even my 4 year old brother likes this song. I think Walk the Moon hit it out of the park with this song as it was catchy and stuck with people, again not fitting the top 40 mold that everything else is.
- WILD – Troye Sivan: My fave South African/Australian has come so far this year! If you don’t know who Troye is, he’s a fairly popular YouTuber who released his debut albumBlue Neighborhood. I highly recommend his work!
- Cake By The Ocean- DNCE: Honestly, it couldn’t be 2015 with out 2/3 Jonas brothers ruining my life. Nick has released some amazing music this year but he’s not being put on my list but I love some of the stuff he’s done this year! Joe however and his new thing DNCE (is it pronounced dance? I have so many questions) honestly blew me out of the wated. Again, music like they make doesn’t fit the top 40 mold but it’s epic!
- Tear In My Heart – Twenty One Pilots: With their new album Blurryface, Twenty One Pilots really hit a spot in my heart. I loved most of their older stuff, but this entire album is amazing. Tear In My Heart is one of my favorite songs off the album. It feels all peppy and happy but the lyrics of it really make you think, something I love about all their music.